Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Book Game

Well, Mari and Nicole both asked for it...
The Book game:
1. Find the nearest book to you
2. Name the book and author
3. Turn to page 123
4. Go to the 5th sentence on the page
5. Copy out the next 3 sentences and post to your blog

The C Programming Language
Brian W. Kernighan & Dennis M. Ritchie

The heart of the dc1 program is a pair of functions, dc1 and dirdc1, that parse a declaration according to this grammar. Because the grammar is recursively defined, the functions call each other recursively as they recognize pieces of a declaration; the program is called a recursive-descent parser. (I removed code samples here) Since the programs are intended to be illustrative, not bullet-proof, there are significant restrictions on dc1.
There you have it, yet more irrefutable evidence that I am a geek. Yes, I keep programming books nearby anywhere I have occasion to sit, and yes I read them for fun.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a geek!

Nicole said...

oh sweet al, not a chance did i read those three sentences. i did, however, have the phrase "please be a c++ gui programming guide" reverberate through my head once i saw what book it was. hehe.

Natalie said...

I'll have you know that when I worked at Borders that first summer, I was in charge of the Computer Book Section...I swore if I ever saw another c++ ANYTHING, I would burn it. But now I realize how close it is to your heart and will contain myself. Oh and to answer the question you posed on my blog, YES, you and insanity are the only guys, who with consistancy, read and comment - love you guys!

Alex said...

oh Mari, don't burn them they're my friends...

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised one bit at your book...since (a) you love that stuff, and (b) you spend most of your time at your new computer desk with that sort of reading material at your fingertips!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks you Alex. Tonight when I am having difficulty sleeping, I will go to my computer and read those three wonderful sentences again!
Glad you love the stuff--someone has to, I guess.

Alex said...

ok everyone, just be glad I did this blog yesterday and not the day before when I read Mari's book game blog the first time while I was doing my Computational Theory homework...

Candida Marie said...

I sincerely think I could understand Thai better than that! Do they count that as a foriegn language at the Y? it should be!