Friday, June 27, 2008

It _is_ real. I've been there.

Some of you may know that I'm a bit of a Tolkien geek. I am one of those for whom Middle Earth is a very real place. And today we received incontrovertible proof. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Bilbo Baggins Restaurant and the Green Dragon Pub.







Friendly service is, indeed, a hobbit, and as noted in The Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo is very much so an excellent chef.

Bonus points (and maybe a small prize) for whoever can identify the secret picture from the book...

7 comments:

Nicole said...

bilbo shmilbo.

just kidding, al. the pub was great. and middle earth is...

nope, can't say it. sorry.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found something else you liked enough on your trip to blog about.
Cute setting. Was the food any good?

Alex said...

@insanity: Food was good. I'd definitely go back.

As far as finding things on my trip I liked enough to blog about, your daughter has kept me up all night all week and I haven't had time to get things sorted out to do blog posts.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to get there...though I knew you wouldn't be able to come home without having been there. Thanks for "taking us along".

No guess on the picture. Guess I'm not enough of a LOTR fan.....but in my defense, I haven't read a single one of the books!!!

Nicole said...

ps--i know the answer to the quiz, and yes, obviously the only reason i know is that you told me, but still, i think i should get a prize just for listening. eh? eh?

Unknown said...

Thanks for insisting that we find the restaurant. It was my first time wandering in Alexandria. Such a pretty, old place and the homes and architecture in that area was lovely. Definitely I need to explore there again. And the food was good--next time I will make it for dinner.

Grandma L

Alex said...

@grandma: Yes. Getting there for dinner is definitely on my to-do list for sometime in the future.