Thursday, May 24, 2007

Why do I do it?

Today marked my first off-road mountain-bike ride of the summer. I rode with a friend from the ward up to the mouth of Slate Canyon, then along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail north to Rock Canyon. I now understand why most people who ride that segment do so going south. We found some pretty darn steep hills, so steep in some places that even I, a certified crazy fool, would be a little scared going down hill. As Mr. Murphy is a close friend of mine, during one struggle up a ridiculously steep grade I hit a patch of trail covered in loose rocks, my front tire stuck and turned, and I started to tip over. No worries, I thought, I've done this thousands of times. But the problem was, I'm riding on new pedals this summer and the degree of ankle twist to unclip is a little more than it used to be. So down I went. It was a little bit comical, as all instances of inability to unclip in time are, and I picked up the following treasure (not nearly as much of an inconvenience as the one pictured above, so small it barely bled at all, even in the remaining 45 minutes of the ride). I had a good little laugh, brushed the dirt off, and we went on about our merry way. We climbed some more hills, bombed down a couple (not nearly as long as the uphill sides) and then finished our ride with a brisk trip through the eastern bench streets home.

Nicole (and possibly some of you) wonders why I enjoy and have always enjoyed, any hobby, sport, or recreational activity that can cause bloodshed. Partly, it's because I grew up that way and a little blood was never much more than a reason for some of my "favorite" sayings, such as "Scars are proof," or "If you ain't bleedin', you ain't tryin'," or maybe "Chicks dig scars." Since past action is only partially responsible for my enjoyment of activities that are likely to cost me some skin, and since I've been trying to figure out what draws me to things like mountain biking and rock climbing and other "extreme" or "action" sports, I think I finally figured it out (with the help of Nicole's blog post tonight). I sit at a desk and fix computers all day, except for the days (which I enjoy) when I get to crawl around in ceiling tiles and on ladders pulling new network cable. Now seriously don't get me wrong here, I LOVE my job. I am a computer geek and my job is a computer geek's dream. However, my job doesn't really allow for much of the adrenaline rush that I got regularly when I was growing up. So, despite (and partially because of) the fact that I fairly frequently leave bits and pieces of hide along the trail, I love riding off-road because it makes me feel alive. As much as I love computers and fixing/tinkering with them, there's no wind blowing past my ears at my desk. There's no up-and-down, think fast or crash, rattling along the trail as fast as I dare (or maybe almost as fast) when I'm working. Even on my training rides, which take place on "safe" paved surfaces, the wind doesn't feel as fresh, and the hills feel more like exercise than adventure.

So yes, I am admittedly, certifiably crazy. I can sit at a desk in front of a computing problem for 9 hours without getting tired of it. But, every now and then, I need more. I need fresh air blowing in my face, sweat soaking the liner of my helmet, my bike rattling beneath me, grind my slow way up the hills and fly down the other side, through the river and through the woods good times. I've lost plenty of blood and skin in my life, and a little bit more every now and then is nowhere near too high a price to really feel alive. So stay tuned this summer for some more mountain bike posts.

10 comments:

Nicole said...

i'm okay with you feeling alive, just so long as you stay alive. thank you and good night.

Natalie said...

yes, you are insane. but that's okay - you can go up in the mountains and get all scratched up - Nicole and I will just go shopping :D

Alex said...

Sounds like a good compromise to me. And then we can all go to the caf.

Christy said...

man, it must be a guy thing because tom's favorite activities are high-risk, high injury kinds. i've just learned not to watch.

ps- i would like to go the caf...

Anonymous said...

If you need to feed your need to bleed, do it now, before you have dependent children. I don't really understand the masochism here, but I do know that when I rode with you last I was lucky to fall down a cliff on my back, thus sparing my life. I decided life was too precious to risk it in activities better left to the young and insane.

Alex said...

It's not so much that I have a "need to bleed" as it is that a little bit of blood is an acceptable risk for the reward.

Anonymous said...

Sounds crazy to me..but whatever works for you...

btb...I don't know that I've seen you with your glasses...

Miranda Allen said...

Well Al,
I'm not surprised. Sometimes it seems as if everything changes and there isn't much to recall simpler times, however, knowing that "scars [continue to be] proof" seems to indicate that part of my life is still as it should be. You're still my big brother who jumped up on the basket ball hoops to avoid kids at Grandma Sorensen's funeral.

Anonymous said...

caf? did someone say caf?

i, too, enjoy biking, although i think i'd be a roadbike kinda guy, were i to own one. i seem to enjoy speed--probably to cool me down on warmish days. wish i could accompany you on your rides!!

Anonymous said...

To Joseph
I too think, in retrospect, that I would have preferred a road bike, but what do I do with the 2,000 mountain bike I have? Answer: Ride slower on the street.
I don't wish I was going on Mtn. bike rides with you, although I would enjoy the company. I have decided that going over cliffs head first and landing who knows where is no longer fun.