Sunday, May 13, 2007

It's Mother's Day...

So it's time for a little tribute to some of the mother's I've come to appreciate in my life.

1. First and foremost, my own little mother. Nobody could have been as much help in some of the down times in my younger life as someone who had been picked on perhaps even more ruthlessly than I was when we first moved home to Orderville. What did I learn from my mother? To cook, clean, sew (enough to get by), to read, to "rise above", "this too shall pass", that people who are mean to you have problems of their own, that someone who doesn't really like to drive in the bad weather can drive halfway across the state to watch her son play basketball, or wrestle, or run around a track; that mothers pray for and worry about their children because it's part of the job description, and so many more things that I could never write them all. Happy Mother's Day Mom, I could never thank you enough for all you've done for me.

2. My Grandma Esplin. A large chunk of my life has included regular trips to grandma Esplin's house, where we kids were always welcome. Grandma's house always smelled like cookies, or cake, or brownies, or bread. There was always raisins to eat, a room to play in if it was cold outside, and someone to worry about how we were going to get hurt. Grandma was always interested in what we were doing (even if she didn't approve of my choice in music) and always came running from the back of the house with a smile and a hug whenever we showed up. Not much has really changed over the years. There's still a happy hug when I stop by, and a good visit because I don't need a room to play in anymore. Happy Mother's Day Grandma, and we'll see you guys soon.

3. My Grandma Sorensen. Another large chunk of my life included stopping in a Grandma Sorensen's house for lunch when we'd been out squirrel hunting with Grandpa Doc all morning. There's nothing like a good hot bowl of macaroni soup, a few slices of cucumber, a tomato sandwich, and some cottage cheese, followed by helping Grandpa watch a movie with our eyes closed, when you've been out in the dust all morning (especially when you've been walking in the dust because Grandpa Doc got stuck and stranded again). I always appreciated that whenever I had a pair of pants that was beyond mom's time frame or ability to repair, I could take them to Grandma and get them fixed while I chopped some firewood, then eat some home-made pop-sickles on that rickety old rusty front porch swinging couch thing. I always appreciated how much Grandma enjoyed going to the Temple in St. George with mom, and how she was looking forward to going with me for the first time. I remember how sad I was that it was only a week before I went that she died. Happy Mother's Day Grandma, I miss you.

4. My mother-in-law, Hen. You hear so many mother-in-law stories that I feel truly blessed to have such a good one. Hen appreciates and encourages my geek-ness, even when Nicole is ready to whack me. Hen always has a plan, and unlike some other plan-oriented people I've known, doesn't freak out when the plan needs to be altered. Happy Mother's Day Hen, and thank you for making me feel so welcome in your family.

5. My sister, Miranda. Miranda has always been such a great sister, and I've looked up to her achievements. She's always known what she wanted and not been afraid to do it (except a ferret? Really?). She graduated from high school already with an Associates Degree (while I, at 27, have 2 more years left of undergrad), and is a very good mother to her children. Good enough to let me and Peter have our "alone" time together even though he was crying his little head off and was not at all happy with his Uncle Alex for trying to get him to sleep. Even though we don't talk or see each other as much as we'd like to, it's fun to see them when we can. Happy Mother's Day Miranda, you've always been a good sister, and now a great mother.

6. My sister-in-law, Natalie. I have a hard enough time just surviving each semester with passing grades, and I have no clue how she accomplishes everything she does with her two crazy, lovable kids. Even if much of her accomplishing involves Target and other such chick-stores, it's a considerable accomplishment. Happy Mother's Day Mari, and thanks for letting me be the Favorite Uncle for Jayden and Chelsea.

7. Last, but definitely not least, my dear wife, Nicole. Even though we don't have children of our own, she is already a mother. To Natalie's kids (until it's time to be the bad guy, which is my job), and to all of the "named entities" in our life, she already has it down. She tells me to be safe when I go biking, and greets me with a big smile when I get home (from a distance because I'm stinky and icky). Happy Pre-Mother's Day babe, I love you.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

very sweet tributes. you are a gem and you have one of the best hearts out there.

Anonymous said...

Very well said Alex, especially for a Geek! And happy mothers day to all of you great moms and moms to be!

Natalie said...

awww...ya got me all weepy - thanks so much - I love you, man!

Anonymous said...

Yes, "weepy" is a good description of where I am after reading your tributes...you've had a lot of good "moms" in your life...you're so lucky....as are we to have you in our lives. Love you, you geek!!

Miranda Allen said...

Gee, I feel special to be included on your list. Not only is it in the job description to pray and worry about our children, we can't help it.

down in the valley said...

Thanks so very much! And thanks for being my son.