Friday, May 30, 2008

Unreal. Totally Unreal.

As many of you know, I don't really get upset about things that don't affect me directly. Heck, I don't even get upset about quite a few things that do affect me directly. But every now and then I'll see or read something that really sets me off. Which leads me to tonight.

The first part of our story begins with a rare, but beautiful event. Every now and then, Nicole will mention in passing something about going to Krispy Kreme. She will then immediately deny that she was serious and tell me to turn around and go home. But I know better. So we moseyed on over to Krispy Kreme for some warm, light, fluffy, heavenly goodness. Which is where our story turns south.

We were standing in line and I was admiring the finely-tuned machinery that brings this delicious marvel to life, when I noticed the middle-aged guy in front of us asking his 4 kids if they wanted samples. The kids dutifully filed forward from watching the doughnuts being made to receive their sample from the girl who was helping customers as the dad ate his sample. He then mentioned that there was one more in the car. The girl handing out samples promptly handed him another doughnut and then went back to filling orders. The guy then walked past us and walked out the door. At first I didn't think anything of it, figuring that he was just taking the sample doughnut to whatever little nubbin, or perhaps his wife, waiting in the car after which he would come back and place his order. No big deal, since there were like 3 or 4 people waiting in line before him. Then I heard him say to his kids, who were again watching the doughnuts cooking, to hurry up and come on. Nicole and I turned to each other in disbelief. Did this guy actually come to Krispy Kreme, knowing that they give you a free sample while you wait in line, to get a free doughnut for himself and the kids, and just leave without buying anything? Or even saying thank you to the employee who handed him and his 4 kids their free sample?

"No way," I thought. But sure enough, I looked out the window and watched him herding his kids into the minivan. This guy had actually come to mooch a free doughnut without buying anything. I couldn't believe it.

Now, I know what it's all about to be a little short-funded, and I don't know what the guy's circumstances are. But seriously. A half-dozen doughnuts is like $5. That's one combo meal at a fast food restaurant. A gallon and a half of gas. So for a guy who's packing a blackberry on his belt, $5 is not a heck of a lot. So what the heck does this guy think he's doing walking into Krispy Kreme, getting his free sample (which is given as a courtesy to their customers who are waiting to buy doughnuts) and walking out as soon as their backs are turned?

This bugs the crap out of me. Seriously. If you want a doughnut, buy a freaking doughnut. Don't go freeloading on a company offering a courtesy for their paying customers. What the heck? If I want a Krispy Kreme bad enough to actually go to their store I want one bad enough to pay for it. Don't get me wrong, a free sample is enough of a pull that I only go to Krispy Kreme when the hot light is on, but I'm going to buy some doughnuts, not get a free one and boogie on out of there.

This is a serious economic problem in the guise of a cheap, middle-aged blackberry toter and his kids. This is why public services are almost never effective or long-lived. How long is Krispy Kreme going to offer free doughnuts to customers waiting in line if they see those customers leaving without buying anything after receiving their sample? It's the same with any public service meant as a courtesy to potential paying customers. If those customers get what they want (even if it's only a small portion) without paying, there is very little incentive for them to stick around and pay for the real deal.

So, Mr. grab-samples-and-run, knock it off. At the cost of your integrity and $5 for a half-dozen doughnuts, your hosing the rest of us who are willing to pay for a few doughnuts after enjoying a free one. So hunker down and shell out 1% of the cost of that blackberry on your belt and be a responsible member of society.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

it's not often that i am the one telling you to chill. and yet tonight, i took on the role of "calm spouse."

what bothered me most about it was that he really didn't say "thank you," and therefore, neither did his kids. great parenting, buddy.

Anonymous said...

I am just waiting for you to tell us how you really feel about it. seriously though, society has really changed in my short lifetime. It seems that freeloading has become a way of life for more and more people, without any feeling of shame. There was a time, and not long ago, where people who actually needed help refused it because of a sense of pride and a knowledge of the great principle of self reliance.

Anonymous said...

Yea, my first thought was "cheapskate".....

My second thought was "teach by example": (a)the dishonest of not purchasing the product after obtaining the freebies, and (b)the non expression of gratitude for the freebies.

Frightful parenting!!

Tasty Krispy Kremes!!

Unknown said...

What a cheapskate!! Sure is a great example he is setting for his children. No wonder many young people think they should have a free ride.

Grandma L

down in the valley said...

To go along with that, on our way down through Main Canyon this evening, there was a huge motor-home 'camping.' With their satellite dish. No wonder youngsters today think they need to be entertained constantly and that the world owes them a living! As for the dough nuts, that was pretty darn low.

Christy said...

totally something my in-laws would do. seriously.