Friday, May 16, 2008

The invisible hand. Seriously.

The straw has finally broken the camel's back. I have seen the one forwarded email about gas prices that is just one too many. (Really Mom, I'm not picking on you, just whoever started that silly forward you sent me, and the gazillions of others I've seen in the last year).

It's called supply and demand, people. The reason gas costs $3.50 per gallon is not because of a government conspiracy. It's not because the Middle-Eastern oil countries are gouging us to pay for expensive, man-made, middle-of-the-desert indoor ski resorts. It's not because the oil companies are price gouging. It's plain and simple, supply and demand. Gas is $3.50 per gallon because you, me and every other one of the ever-increasing car-driving, foreign-made-good-buying population of this world will pay it. That is all.

Yeah, I know people freaked out when gas first went above $.40. I was a little upset when gas first went above a dollar. But guess what? The number of oil-consuming people in the world has more than tripled since then. Oil is not an unlimited resource folks. Economics is the science concerning the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services. Economics deals with the idea of scarcity and resources. That's all. It's not magic, and it's not a conspiracy.

Lets talk about this for a minute. If I have a good or resource and I want to get rid of it, I have a few options. I can give it away for free, in which case I now have nothing. I can keep it forever, in which case I still have it. Or I can trade it for something else, in which case I now have something else that I wanted more than what I originally had. Very simple still. Giving it away and keeping it are uninteresting problems, so lets talk about trading it. First, we'll talk about opportunity cost. Opportunity cost is the cost of the next best alternative. Only. If I buy a pink sugar cookie instead of a Krispy Kreme doughnut, or a Milky-Way bar, or an apple, the cost associated with the pink sugar cookie is not giving up all three alternatives, only the alternative that I would have chosen otherwise. Anything other than the best alternative is nothing. So, going back to my problem, in which I have a resource and I think I want to trade it for something else, the main question involved is not, "How much can I get for this?" but, given that the opportunity cost is now either keeping it or trading it, "For what am I willing to part with this?".

Very subtle difference, but key to our issue of complaining about gas prices. If there is one person in the world that has something I'm willing to trade for my resource, my asking price is limited by him asking himself the same question. If I want what he has enough to no longer have my resource, and he feels the same, we can trade. If not, one or the other of us will have to sweeten the deal a little. However, if there are 2 billion people who all want what I have, now the idea of opportunity cost is very important. If I have a pink sugar cookie (something I obviously place more than $.75 value on) and someone comes to me with a Snickers bar that cost them $.75, they will have to keep looking, since I value a Snickers bar at about $.10. If I have that same cookie, and someone comes to me with a dozen hot, fresh Krispy Kremes, I will be the glad, (temporary) owner of a very happy, very satisfied full stomach, and I will hope they enjoy their new cookie. The opportunity cost of trading with the guy with the KKs is the cost of keeping my cookie, which up to this point was the "best" alternative. It was NOT the cost of a Snickers bar, since I don't want the Snickers bar. However, if the next guy in line is willing (for whatever reason) to trade me a Ducati for my pink sugar cookie, the opportunity cost of owning those KKs becomes _much_ higher.

So lets talk about gas. Just like my single pink sugar cookie, gas is a scarce resource. Once the oil field is dry, that's it. So now, I have a limited amount of gas, and 500 million people are willing to pay me $1 per gallon for it. If I charge more, I will sell less and my opportunity cost is obvious. I have surplus gas, and less money. Now, 15 years later, I still have gas (perhaps not as much as before) and 2 billion people are willing to pay me $3 per gallon for it. My opportunity cost for selling at more or less than where my willingness to supply meets their willingness to buy is high on both sides. If I sell for less, I run out because more people will buy more gas. If I sell for more, I don't sell as much and my profits go down. Yet again, plain and simple. On the other side of the transaction I, as one of those 2 billion people who want gas, have to make an opportunity cost-based choice. The cost of buying that gas is very simple: $3 per gallon. The cost of not buying the gas is also fairly simple: I have to walk to school (for reasons other than exercise) or the grocery store. Or I don't get to go to Newport this fall. A trip to Disneyland and beautiful Newport and Laguna beach is a high opportunity cost indeed compared to $3 per gallon for gas. But that's what it boils down to: I want the trip and the memories, or the convenience of taking a car to the grocery store, more than I want the money. So I pay $3 per gallon for gas.

Economics is no mystery. If I am willing to pay for an item, then I get what I paid for. If I am not willing to pay, I keep my money and go without that item. Sure, the money we pay for gas buys man-made ski resorts in the middle of the Arabian desert. But that's only because we want the gas more than we want our money, and they want our money more than they want their gas. Even with the inefficiencies inherent in the concept of the internal combustion engine it would be possible to build vehicles that are much more efficient than the ones you generally see on the road today. But they would be much more expensive than what we currently drive (tolerances would need to be tighter, etc) and we want our money more than we want a car that costs 5x as much, but gets double the mileage and the auto manufacturers want to sell 50 cars at $25000 more than they want to sell 2 cars at $100000.

So please people, stop the madness. The reason gas is $3.50 per gallon is not because somebody is taking advantage of us, or because the auto industry lobbies to prevent research on alternative fuels/technologies, or because the President was unable to "lower fuel costs" (how he would do that himself is a mystery indeed). It is because that TV that came from Japan or Korea cost a lot of money to ship, and we want the TV more than we want our money. It is because we want to travel and see the world more than we want our money. It is because many millions more people would also like to travel, or spend money on goods that we produce. In short, gas is $3.50 per gallon because we are willing to pay $3.50 per gallon for it. So next time you think about forwarding an email blaming the Arabs, or the oil companies, or the president, or the little purple men from Mars for high gas prices, do the world a favor and just delete it.

And now I will step down from the pulpit and get back to my multi-threaded webserver...

12 comments:

Christy said...

ha ha alex. you are funny. i think it's funny when people rage about gas (and when i say people, i mean tom) because it seems to me gas ALWAYS goes up in the summer and then ALWAYS goes down in the fall. so i don't understand why everyone's so shocked. and like you said, we haven't stopped driving yet so how can we really complain.

Nicole said...

okay this has nothing to do with your point (which i agree with, by the way, and therefore cannot mock) but i have to say: pink sugar cookies are foul. stop eating them.

Alex said...

@Nicole: Never.

Anonymous said...

In a conversation with a top Sinclair oil executive, he claims that there are no shortages of oil with the supply still plentiful and the demand about the same as a year ago, but that the major thing that has changed, and driven oil prices from $50 per barrel to $125 is the artificial drive due to oil futures.

Joe said...

can you believe that someone is proposing a bill to create a government-run "fair profits board" to decide how much $$ a company can "fairly" make? (spurred by this same crap about oil companies overcharging, by the way). goodbye capitalism, hello stalinism.

Joe said...

on an oil-related note: it will be interesting to see if brazil joins opec after their discovery of a new multi-billion barrel oil field.

Alex said...

@bob: Yeah. It's insane how many people think that more government interference in the marketplace will solve the problem.

Impose a limit on how profit a company can make and see how fast the rate of innovation and new businesses drops off to next to nothing.

Anonymous said...

To Joseph and Alex--What they are suggesting with fair profits for business has already been instituted in medicine. It doesn't matter what you charge, the government has predetermined what you will be paid. We can already see a marked deterioration in the quality of medical students as a result. But then with Obama's redistribution of wealth, it won't matter anyway.
Line 1: how much did you make
line 2: send it in and the government will distribute it fairly.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the next time you come up we can make "real" sugar cookies......

Joe said...

al & dad:
just like with medicine, you'll see less and less talent, innovation, and free enterprise in general. more capitalist countries/unions will surely welcome the innovation america once had, and they will be the prosperous ones and we the has-been lazy nation. too bad only the intelligent and enterprising see all this as a bad thing.

Alex said...

That's because everyone is so busy worrying about security and equality that they forget the fact that the people who started our major periods of innovation in the US had virtually no job security. Instead of paying people to sit on their butts we should be encouraging invention.

Ben said...

So here is my personal opinion - as much as gas prices bite my own wallet - I actually think that higher gas prices in the end is better for the world. It forces people to consider taking the train or the bus, which is better for the environment. Who needs a carbon tax when gas is expensive already? I hope for societies sake that prices don't go down, even though it will hurt my personal budget...