Friday, August 28, 2009

Hawaii Highlights

I like Hawaii. A lot. Although I don't surf or boogeyboard, and I'm not a super-great swimmer, I _love_ the ocean. And it just so happens that Hawaii is smack dab in the middle of a great big, blue ocean. Very blue. I have always loved spending time outdoors. Having grown up partly in the South while my dad was in the Army, and partly in the desert and the mountains in and around Orderville, I have a little bit of a schizophrenic ecological preference. I like swamps. I like forests. I like deserts. I like mountains. And awesome-ly, Hawaii has all of that. And jungles, which I didn't grow up with, but which are quite cool nonetheless. I remember not quite knowing what to expect the first time we went, in 2003. Driving across the desert side of the island to the western side of Maui, you see a lot of brown grass, scrubby bushes and lava rocks. Sound familiar? Yup. Looks just like home. Only with an ocean. So now that we've established that I like Maui, here are some highlights:

sunset over the ocean. from my seat at dinner. yup. love that Lahaina Fish Company.

the daytime of the night. at the resort.

for some reason I like taking pictures at night.

not quite sunset from the boat.

closer to sunset. still on the boat.

apparently I like sunset pictures.

bridge on the road to Hana.

Wai'anapanapa. near Hana.

waterfall by a bridge on the road to Hana.

sunset at the resort.

the edge of a very hard seat. on a canoe.

patterns in the sand. Lahaina.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

ah yes, the day time of the night. your specialty. all quite nice, my friend.

down in the valley said...

Cool pictures. I hope you don't get sicker.

mistysummer said...

those are some awesome pics there alex

Mom K said...

I've noticed you do like the ocean...and the sunsets...and the night time.

Nicole said...

take a look at that bridge shot. :)

not too shabby, ya boosh.

now let's go back. for good. eh?

Alex said...

um ok. before or after I graduate?

dad k. said...

Very nice reminders of a beautiful place, sort of a home away for home for us now. So glad that you were able to make it, although for selfish reasons, I hope the two of you don't make this paradise your permanent residence.