Friday, July 10, 2009

Newport Beach trip 2009

So I'm finally getting around to documenting our trip to Newport last month. To begin with, an amusing photgraphic anecdote:

Nicole's shoes for the trip (she would like you to know she's not crazy):
My shoes for the trip:

The night we got down there had one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen. After rushing back from taking the kids to the pool, I grabbed the tripod and took a few pictures:

Our first day at Disneyland, I was the designated water carrier so I didn't take my D60. Therefore, I only took like 3 pictures with our little point & shoot. But look how pretty I am... :p

Tuesday we went to Laguna Beach for a while in the morning and hung out at the pool and condo in the afternoon.

The next day was our Downtown Disney day, as well as Ruby's on Balboa Pier for some tasty burgers.

Thursday I left my Camelbak at home and took my D60 to Disneyland. As Nicole has said many times, one of the coolest things about Disneyland is the attention to detail. There's a lot packed into a relatively small area and it all, down to the last chair, is meant to add to the completeness of the park. Here's just a few of my favorites from Disneyland.

Friday was another mellow day at the condo and the pool. The grounds at the Marriott's Newport Coast Villas are fairly well suited for the whole Tuscan theme.

As is customary, we stopped in Baker on the way home for a gyro (for me--everyone else eats somewhere else). Here's a few pictures of the Halloran Desert, south of Death Valley.

We got back to St. George just in time for dinner and the sunset.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

very cool, my photographer friend. i think my favorites are the movement of the carousel and the lilly pads. what? no photos of you chucking the munchkins?!

Alex said...

@natalie: Nicole took all of those. I haven't raided her collection yet...

Nicole said...

that's RIGHT i'm not crazy. two of those pairs were purchased on the trip and one other pair was packed accidentally, so i really only intentionally brought five pairs of shoes. which is totally normal, considering that i needed heels for sunday and comfy shoes for disneyland, and the rest were all teeny tiny flip flops. come to think of it, area-wise, your shoes probably took up more space than mine did. so ha.

also, i really like the carousel picture. it's very cool.

again, really not crazy.

Alex said...

@nicole: yes, I know, because what would be crazy would be to wear the same pair of flip-flops more than once... :)

dad k. said...

Enjoy the photos and of course the memories. Where is the blue fountain?

Alex said...

@insanity: the blue fountain is over by the rocket ships, on that little footpath that goes from the castle.

Nicole said...

:|

Mom K said...

Very fun pictures which I will need copies of for my scrapbook...did Nicole include them on the disc she did for me?