Saturday, June 06, 2009

At long last...

For the last couple of years, whenever Nicole and I have gone on a trip, she's taken her camera and I've used our little point & shoot. Whenever I've tried to do something that was just plain beyond its capabilities, I would ask if I could borrow hers. The answer was usually the same: "Buy your own dang camera." She almost always actually let me use hers, but only under protest.

So I saved for a while, and with the aid of some birthday funds I bought a Nikon D60 and took up a new hobby. Then, just the other day Nicole and I were up taking pictures of the sunset at Rock Canyon and she pointed out that after 6 years we've finally found a common interest; something we both like to do. So I've collected my favorite pictures I've taken since April. You can see more at my picasa web album.


One of the cacti at H&I's house in Green Valley. (4-4-09)

An interesting rock across the street from there. (4-5-09)

Some flowering pear blossoms on Easter morning. (4-12-09)

A little branch of a runoff crick in the South Fork of Provo Canyon (5-3-09).

Sunset from Rock Canyon. (5-14-09)

A white flower. yup, that's right. (5-22-09)

The eyes of a storm over Orderville. (5-23-09)

A wide panorama of the sunset from Slate Canyon (5-29-09)

The runoff crick coming out of Rock Canyon. (5-31-09)

A wide panorama of the sunset from Rock Canyon (5-31-09)

The Big Dipper at about midnight. (6-5-09)

Sunset over Deer Creek Reservoir (6-6-09)


14 comments:

down in the valley said...

Cool pictures!! So does that mean that if I were to read 'the book' and learn more, I could take pictures like you??? :>)

Alex said...

I dunno. I can't take pictures quite like Nicole, and I know my camera pretty much inwards and outwards. Who knows, maybe you have a better "artistic" eye than I do?

Natalie said...

very cool photos, alex. i like the water ones the best - the movement is groovy. as is the use of the word "crick". can't wait to see what you and your toy capture in california. bet you could get some good ones here in colorado - hint, hint.

justin hileman said...

It only took six years to find a common interest?

Thanks for sharing your pics :)

Anonymous said...

hey this is great wonderful work

Nicole said...

how did the "leaping nicole" shot not make the cut? i am shocked. SHOCKED.

you're getting pretty good, my love. i'm just so proud. :)

Alex said...

oh don't worry. the "leaping Nicole" shot will very likely find its way on to my blog in the near future. It's way too awesome not to...

Alex said...

@nicole: p.s: If I'm getting better it's only because I have such a good teacher...

Mom K said...

I really like the Big Dipper shot. I'm surprised there aren't more, however, as that is your time of the "day"!!

Alex said...

@hen: that is very much not my time of the day. it is, however, Nicole's time of the day...

dad k. said...

Fun shots.
I am so sorry that you get a crick in your neck or back when you take photos of creeks. We will have to look into the cause and effect of that one.
Seriously gald that you are enjoying your camera.

Mom K said...

You are a great guy...

Candida Marie said...

i like the cactus one best. my favorite shots are when you get so close it's hard to tell what it is.

Christy said...

way to go alex! those photos rock. i bet mo loves that you share her hobby these days. i have a nikon d40 so you're a step ahead of me. :)