Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ok, Ok, I'll do it...

So like a million people (ok, only five or so) have tagged me on facebook for the 25 things about you thing. And my mom tagged me with something a lot like it, so I'm doing this here cuz my mom isn't on facebook and I'm killing two birds with one stone.

So here we go.

1. I am an awesome cook. Not so much with following recipes, but if I just make stuff up, it's almost always super yummy.

2. Except for my mission, I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings every year for 17 years.

3. I like watching American Idol. Most of the time. The season that Fantasia won was boring as death, but the rest of the time it's pretty good. I'm a big fan of Bo Bice, Chris Daughtry, and David Cook.

4. When I graduated from high school I could bench press 340 pounds, dead-lift 500, and squat about 650. Now I cannot. :)

5. When I got my mission call (on April 1st, 1999) I almost gave my grandma a heart attack by telling her I had been called to a 4 year service mission to mainland China. I also pissed off my then girlfriend by telling her my Army Reserve unit had been mobilized to Kosovo. Perks of getting your call on April fools...

6. I once thought I'd wrestle and run track at college (if I ever went). I even got a letter from BYU's wrestling team, but I was anti-BYU back then, and wanted to wrestle at Ricks (now BYU Idaho) because they were a big feeder program for the big wrestling schools. I don't wrestle any more...

7. I did not think in a million years I would marry someone like Nicole.

8. I did not think in a billion years I could be so happily married to someone so unlike me.

9. I've been playing the guitar off and on for about 15 years. Someday I'll have the time to play a lot and get good again.

10. I'm a very good shot. Being at BYU has put a hold on lots of shooting, but I'll graduate soon and restock my gun collection.

11. I believe strongly in the right to keep and bear arms. It is the one non-religious thing I will never back down on.

12. I love Hawaii. A lot. I'm gonna live there some day. (hopefully)

13. I like hot weather. A lot. My optimal range starts at about 85 and so far as I have experienced doesn't have a ceiling. After my first winter in Toronto (almost 2 month stretch where it never got above -10C) I swore I'd never complain about heat again.

14. As mentioned earlier, I was once very much anti-BYU. When I moved to Provo, the 2 things I did _not_ want to do were go to BYU and live in BYU-approved housing. I have since repented. There's nowhere I would have rather gone to school, and I met my dear Nicole in BYU-approved housing.

15. I'm a big fan of fast cars. Musclecars, rice-rockets, as long as it's fast I dig it. Making it go fast is almost half the fun.

16. I don't go anywhere without at least one pocketknife, a lighter, and a sharpening stone.

17. I wear boots. Corcoran boots. I'm cool with spending $125 on a pair of boots that will last as long as these do. My last pair lasted over 6 years and easily several thousand miles.

18. I like road-tripping. With the windows down, and the music loud (yes even in the summer my AC is fresh air at 70 mph).

19. According to Nicole, I'm dead inside. I've cried once and a half times since 1990. I think I'm just not a big crier.

20. I've broken my nose 6 times. In the winter time my nose is always cold, and it's a rare day when one nostril or the other isn't clogged at least a little.

21. I'm a recent fan of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

22. Like Star Wars I do. Learn much from it, one can. Being totally serious, I am.

23. Pain is not a deterrent to fun for me. I think my pain receptors are slightly broken from overuse. I've broken 2 bike helmets, had numerous cracked ribs, and a _lot_ of road/dirt/rock rash. I don't care. For most things, if you can't get hurt doing it, it isn't all that fun.

24. Despite being a redneck, I can appreciate "civilized" stuff. Given a song or two, I can name the show to 99% of Nicole's favorite Broadway songs.

25. I really like to build stuff. I will someday own a wood and machine shop. With a hoist. And a forge. I'm totally serious.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

1. i read the hobbit and the lord of the rings once. i've had better. :)

2. i like that you like watching american idol. i like watching it with you.

3. you and me both on #7 and #8. and #12. and #18. but really really REALLY not #11.

4. nothing is sexier than when you talk like yoda. and yes, everyone, i am very much kidding.

Christy said...

you are an awesome cook. i miss pawning food off of you when i happened to be watching american idol or the office with you guys during the dinner hour. (meaning 10:00 pm at your house.)

one and a half times? have you no soul? just kidding, but do explain, what is a half of a cry?

love/miss your buns alex!

Natalie said...

#1 - yes, yummy dinners by alex - tasty

#4 - you may not be able to lift that much, but Chelsea still thinks your arms are big, like hers. :D

#7 - yes, like nicole. you know you love attending the opera...emperor arms and all.

#12 - yes, hurry up and move there so that we can come visit...or maybe just buy a really big house and we'll all move in together. hehe.

#13 - yes, every year as you trek across the street in your jeans and tall army-man boots for your gyro in baker, i swear you're gonna kill over due to heat...and you never do.

#15 - hey, it may not go fast, but you sure look good driving my mommy-car with three nubins and two wives in it. :D

#16 - what about a straight razor?

#21 - jay would say "i told you so" if he commented on blogs even a little bit. you all can chat it up about that weird-can stuff all the way to newport in june. nicole and i will be sitting in seat #2 with mr. e

loved this entry, btw. but love you more, man.

Alex said...

@Tophe: I've teared up a few times since I met Nicole, but no actual "crying" so I figure the separate tearing up events would add up to about once and a half. very scientific...

@Mari: Shaving is optional. If I have to, the only way to fly is with a straight, or maybe a good DE, but it is still optional.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, even though I already knew most or at least could have guessed most of what you wrote.
Hope that if you do live in Hawaii someday that it won't take away your love of the place. Remember EVERYWHERE is better on vacation than in real life.

Anonymous said...

Fun "getting to know you", though, like Dad K said, we knew a good number of the 25 items. Still fun to read.

Thanks.